Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Joy is Dependent on Me

Psalm 119:1-4
1 Joyful are people of integrity,
who follow the instructions of the Lord.
2 Joyful are those who obey his laws
and search for him with all their hearts.
3 They do not compromise with evil,
and they walk only in his paths.
4 You have charged us
to keep your commandments carefully.

Why is it so often that when people think about Christians or the bible that they think that they don’t or can’t have any fun? I know that having fun and being joyful are two different emotions but one does not think about being joyful without having fun. The Word does not put limitations on me like many people think. It actually frees me to live according to God’s plan for my life, which will have fun and be joyful while I do it. I think that version of fun is different than those who do not know Christ. Where those people get drunk on wine or other forms of alcohol I get drunk on the Holy Spirit. That is such a better way to get drunk. There are no negative side effects when doing that. The side effects include joy, peace, happiness, boldness and contentment just to name a few.

Verse 2 says “search for him with all their hearts”, which lets me know that my being joyful is directly connected with my level of wanting to know Him. Pastor Tim shared this weekend about having a more intimate relationship with Jesus and what effect that has had on his life, his marriage, his role as father and husband and for himself personally. My level of joy, or lack thereof, could be tied to my level of how I seek Him and His ways and His Word.

When I am doing verses 1 and 2, verse 3 is the next level of incorporation into my life. When I am seeking Him in His Word I will know what the truth is and will not compromise with evil. I will not sway to the left or the right on the path He has for me. When I do that I am not devoured by the devil, who is sneaking around like a lion looking for me so he might pounce on and devour me. Praise God for His plan for me.

He has given me instructions to follow. He has laid out His plan for me and for my life. I am not accountable to anyone else on what they do or how they do it. I am only responsible for my life, my level of desire to be in His Word and for His plan for my life. When I seek Him as I should, with all my heart, all my mind and all my strength, my level of joy goes up and my walk with Him becomes closer and closer. As that happens my level of joy increases exponentially. I thank God that I do not have to worry about what Jesus is saying about me to anyone because He only speaks good and not evil. Praise God!

Numbers 6:24-26 (AMP)

The Lord bless you and watch, guard, and keep you; The Lord make His face to shine upon and enlighten you and be gracious (kind, merciful, and giving favor) to you; The Lord lift up His [approving] countenance upon you and give you peace (tranquility of heart and life continually).

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved
www.dailybreadfromtheword.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment