Monday, May 18, 2009

Did Someone Say Something Bad About You?

Psalm 109:26-30

26 Help me, O Lord my God!
Save me because of your unfailing love.
27 Let them see that this is your doing,
that you yourself have done it, Lord.
28 Then let them curse me if they like,
but you will bless me!
When they attack me, they will be disgraced!
But I, your servant, will go right on rejoicing!
29 May my accusers be clothed with disgrace;
may their humiliation cover them like a cloak.
30 But I will give repeated thanks to the Lord,
praising him to everyone.

Has it ever seemed like people were talking bad about you and didn't know what they were saying, but you knew it wasn't good? That happens to all of us at time in our lives. Sometimes we find out what they were saying and sometimes we don't. Unfortunately this happens in churches with as much, if not more, fervor as it does in the secular world. I know this to have happened in both arenas about me. Do I let it affect me when it does happen? Sometimes. It depends on the source of the talking. I don't take much credence with someone who is not a Christian and they talk bad about me being a Christian. I don't worry about what someone else thinks about my duties for God in His plan for my life. I think I can use these verses to help me get over anyone talking about me because I know that if I am doing what God has directed me to do, then He will bless me and I get to rejoice in being obedient to Him.

I try myself not to get wrapped up in any of the gossip that goes on in any area of my life. When it does creep in I try not to get pulled in by it. If there are accusations made against someone I love, I will confront the person who had the accusations made, in love, and get their feedback before I would say anything to anyone else about it. I try to follow what is written in the follow verses:

Matthew 18:15-17

15 “If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense. If the other person listens and confesses it, you have won that person back. 16 But if you are unsuccessful, take one or two others with you and go back again, so that everything you say may be confirmed by two or three witnesses. 17 If the person still refuses to listen, take your case to the church. Then if he or she won’t accept the church’s decision, treat that person as a pagan or a corrupt tax collector."

This method of action is prescribed by Jesus Himself so I know this the way to go. It is hard having to confront someone you love, especially if they are a believer, because you don't want to jeopardize the relationship. Jesus tells us here how to approach it and what to do. Praise God that He cares that much about us to give us direction in this area of our lives.

Heavenly Father I thank You for the wisdom and direction You have provided in Your Word. I thank You that the Word became flesh in the person of Jesus and that He spoke to many areas of my life that I can apply the right tools to any given situation. I thank You that You love me and direct my path so that I can follow Your plan for me. Amen.

Numbers 6:24-26 (AMP)

The Lord bless you and watch, guard, and keep you; The Lord make His face to shine upon and enlighten you and be gracious (kind, merciful, and giving favor) to you; The Lord lift up His [approving] countenance upon you and give you peace (tranquility of heart and life continually).

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment