Thursday, January 8, 2009

Don’t Lose to Discouragement

Ezra 4:4-5, 23b

4 Then the local residents tried to discourage and frighten the people of Judah to keep them from their work. 5 They bribed agents to work against them and to frustrate their plans. This went on during the entire reign of King Cyrus of Persia and lasted until King Darius of Persia took the throne.

23...Then, with a show of strength, they forced the Jews to stop building.

This is often the approach of those who don't want you to fulfill God's plans for your life. One of the hardest things to realize is that it is not the flesh and blood person you are dealing with in this situation. Here is what the Word says about it:

Ephesians 6:10-12

10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

In these situations is where we really get to put to proof what we believe. Just yesterday a dear friend from high school sent me a message in response to a post on her facebook status. My spirit was very grieved over what she wrote because I know that she knows The Truth, or did at one time, and now has bought into what the world has to offer. I was accused of being a stereotypical evangelical right wing person and she did not know who I would be outside of that. My initial thought would be that I would be nothing outside of that. If living by the spirit and trying on a daily basis to walk in the spirit and seeking the Holy Spirit for everything I do is embracing that stereotype, then that is what I am and I wouldn't want to be any other place. To live outside of God's plan and God's will for my life is stating that I know more than He does and that I can do it on my own. I can't do it without Him. Without my Father, His Son and the Holy Spirit in my life I am just some bones in a flesh suit walking around lost, confused, poor and destitute in the spirit.

I will not be discouraged by her words nor will I stop loving her. My love for her has nothing to do with how I feel, it has everything to do with what God commanded me to do in His Word.

Matthew 22:35-40

35 One of them, an expert in religious law, tried to trap him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?”

37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

Since I am to love my neighbor as myself then I must pray for my friend and ask God to work out in her life what He needs to in orer to reveal to her His plan for her. I thank God for His faithfulness and for His Word that helps minister to us in our discouragement.

As I was taking my kids to school today we were listening to some songs on a CD. There were three songs that really ministered to me this morning. I want to share portions of those songs with you today to help encourage you if you are feeling discouraged about something going on in your life and to lift you up and let you know that God is on your side and that if you don't quit you will win.

"My Life is in You, Lord"

My life is in You Lord
My strength is in You Lord
My hope is in You Lord
In You it’s in You
I will praise You with all of my life
I will praise You with all of my strength
With all of my life, with all of my strength, all of my hope is in You.

"I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb"

Our time has come to count the cost
To reject this world and to embrace the cross.
One by one let us live our lives
For the One who died to give us life.
Till the trumpet sounds on that final day
Let us proudly stand and boldly say,

I pledge allegiance to the Lamb.
With all my strength with all I am.
I will seek to honor His commands
I pledge allegiance to the Lamb.

"Stand"

In the midst of all persecution when it means that I must stand alone.
If I'm worth dying for, then You're worth living for.
So I give You my heart. I give You my soul.
Will you give Jesus your soul? Will you stand?

I will stand for You no matter the cost, no matter the gain, no matter the loss.
I will stand for You every day I live, everything I have, everything I give.

I will stand for You through the darkest night through the hardest storm I will be a light.
I will stand for You in all I do I will stand for You

I will stand for You because You died for me.
I'll lay down my life for the world to see that Your power is real that Your love is true.
You died for me, Jesus, You died for me, I'll stand for You.

I thank You, Lord, for encouraging me today and revealing more of Your love to me. My life is in You. All of my strength, all of my hope, all of my life is in You. I have counted the cost and I embrace the cross. I will live my life for You because You gave Your life for mine. I pledge to You all that I am and I will honor Your commands. I will stand for You in the midst of all persecution. If I was worth dying for then You are worth living for. I give You my heart, my soul, my mind and my emotions. I will stand for You no matter the cost and every day I live I give You everything I have. I will be a light in the darkest night. I will stand for You because You died for me. I lay down my life so the world will see that it is Your power and Your love working through me and You are the way, the truth and the life. You died for me, Jesus, so I will stand for You.

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment