Tuesday, January 27, 2009

He Loves You More

Song of Solomon 3:1-4

Young Woman

1 One night as I lay in bed, I yearned for my lover.
I yearned for him, but he did not come.
2 So I said to myself, “I will get up and roam the city,
searching in all its streets and squares.
I will search for the one I love.”
So I searched everywhere but did not find him.
3 The watchmen stopped me as they made their rounds,
and I asked, “Have you seen the one I love?”
4 Then scarcely had I left them
when I found my love!
I caught and held him tightly,
then I brought him to my mother’s house,
into my mother’s bed, where I had been conceived.

This is what we do when we are in the young stages of love. We search about just for chance to get to see the one who is the object of our affection. As we progress in the number of years we have been with our spouses how many of us would search the city to be able to hold them in our arms just because they weren't with us for one night? I have found myself getting caught up in the day I was in and trying to get all the things done that needed to be done when my wife was out of town and didn't really miss her like described above. I do miss her being in the same bed when she is not there, but to say that I would search the city until I found her is another story.

I love my wife more now than I did when we first started dating, but my love for her is much different. The intensity with which I love her is also different. I don't need to see her all the time to know that she loves me and that I love her. I don't need to hold her in my arms each day to say that I feel like we are connected. I do love to hold her in my arms at night and in the morning while laying in bed. I have not grown tired of our cuddling time.

I do think that I should long to see the One that I love more than my wife and that spending a day without Him is not a day worth living. If I don't get to spend time with Him I do think I would search the city until I found Him. Knowing that He wants to spend time with me more than I want to with Him is a comforting feeling. I know that if I go to spend time with Him He is not going to tell me He is too busy to see me or to come back later when it's more convenient for Him. He died on a cross for me! He desires to spend every second of every day with me and the amount of time and the quality of that time spent together is determined by me and my desire to be with Him. He loves me more than anyone else ever could. I look for ways to spend time with Him. I know that there are times when I don't seek His company, but I am glad He is there when I do. When I want to talk to Him I don't have make an appointment on His calendar or email Him to make arrangements. I don't have to leave Him a voicemail when He doesn't answer my call. He comes running to me when I have been away from Him and is eager to share Himself with me. He has written me the greatest love letter I could ever hope to receive from anyone and His love for me is eternal. He loved me before I was born and made me the way I am to be in relationship with Him. He is the one I love the most and it's not even a contest.

I thank You, Jesus, for wanting to have a relationship with me. You know me better than I know myself and you still love me. You loved me enough to die for me. I pray that if need be I would do the same for You. I will stir up my spirit to seek after You each day and grow in my desire to spend time with You and get to know You more. I love You and love the time I get to spend with You. Amen.

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment