Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Kinsman Redeemer

Ruth 3:1-8 (MSG)

1-2One day her mother-in-law Naomi said to Ruth, "My dear daughter, isn't it about time I arranged a good home for you so you can have a happy life? And isn't Boaz our close relative, the one with whose young women you've been working? Maybe it's time to make our move. Tonight is the night of Boaz's barley harvest at the threshing floor.

3-4 "Take a bath. Put on some perfume. Get all dressed up and go to the threshing floor. But don't let him know you're there until the party is well under way and he's had plenty of food and drink. When you see him slipping off to sleep, watch where he lies down and then go there. Lie at his feet to let him know that you are available to him for marriage. Then wait and see what he says. He'll tell you what to do."

5 Ruth said, "If you say so, I'll do it, just as you've told me."

6 She went down to the threshing floor and put her mother-in-law's plan into action.

7 Boaz had a good time, eating and drinking his fill—he felt great. Then he went off to get some sleep, lying down at the end of a stack of barley. Ruth quietly followed; she lay down to signal her availability for marriage.

8 In the middle of the night the man was suddenly startled and sat up. Surprise! This woman asleep at his feet!

9 He said, "And who are you?"

She said, "I am Ruth, your maiden; take me under your protecting wing. You're my close relative, you know, in the circle of covenant redeemers—you do have the right to marry me."

10-13 He said, "God bless you, my dear daughter! What a splendid expression of love! And when you could have had your pick of any of the young men around. And now, my dear daughter, don't you worry about a thing; I'll do all you could want or ask. Everybody in town knows what a courageous woman you are— a real prize! You're right, I am a close relative to you, but there is one even closer than I am. So stay the rest of the night. In the morning, if he wants to exercise his customary rights and responsibilities as the closest covenant redeemer, he'll have his chance; but if he isn't interested, as God lives, I'll do it. Now go back to sleep until morning."

14 Ruth slept at his feet until dawn, but she got up while it was still dark and wouldn't be recognized. Then Boaz said to himself, "No one must know that Ruth came to the threshing floor."

15 So Boaz said, "Bring the shawl you're wearing and spread it out."

She spread it out and he poured it full of barley, six measures, and put it on her shoulders. Then she went back to town.

16-17 When she came to her mother-in-law, Naomi asked, "And how did things go, my dear daughter?"

Ruth told her everything that the man had done for her, adding, "And he gave me all this barley besides—six quarts! He told me, 'You can't go back empty-handed to your mother-in-law!'"

18 Naomi said, "Sit back and relax, my dear daughter, until we find out how things turn out; that man isn't going to fool around. Mark my words, he's going to get everything wrapped up today."

This is such a great story. I love the way these verses not only prove the Bible to be truth and wisdom, but it discusses an important aspect of what Jesus would do for us. Jesus was The Kinsman Redeemer. Jesus came to redeem that which was lost. In the Jewish faith only a relative could redeem a relative. For example, if John Hammond were in jail and needed to be bailed out, I could not do it because I am not a relative of his. Pastor Mac could bail him out since he is a relative. This was the way things were to be done in those days and that is why Jesus came to redeem the children of Israel because He was of the lineage of Abraham and could redeem His kinsmen. Thank God it didn't just apply to the Jews, but to the Gentiles as well.

What I also note in this story is the obedience of Ruth to her mother-in-law. When she did what she was told and obeyed quickly and quietly she was rewarded. This is a great analogy for us in listening to God's direction for our lives.

I am also impressed with the words of Boaz when he describes the qualities of Ruth. She has made a great impression on him and the town in general. "Everybody in town knows what a courageous woman you are--a real prize!" That is having favor among men. It is not favor she earned for just sitting around either as we learned yesterday. Boaz goes as far as to tell her that if he couldn't get a younger relative to redeem her then he would do it himself.

Naomi's words in verse 18 are a key to our victories in our path to following the Lord. "Sit back and relax, my dear daughter, until we find out how things turn out; that man isn't going to fool around. Mark my words, he's going to get everything wrapped up today." When we are following God's plans and He has instructed us to do something then we are to do it quickly and quietly. When He tells us that He needs to get things lined up for us then we should follow the advice of Naomi. Sit back and relax until we find out how things turn out. We do not need to assist God in what He needs to do, unless He instructs us to do so. If He needs to work on other people to get the job done then we need to rely on Him to finish what He started. He does not need our help in doing so. God isn't going to fool around either when it is something He said He would do and won't rest until it gets done. Sometimes He may need to go through multiple channels to get it done, but He will get it done.

Brother Keith Moore tells a story of something that happened to him. He was praying for a friend of his and the Lord showed Him what this man needed. It was a large sum of money for this man's ministry and Brother Keith asked the Lord if he was supposed to meet that need. The Lord told him that He was going to use another channel for the funds but Keith was supposed to pray for this man's ministry. He did that. Later on Brother Keith and Miss Phyllis went on vacation and they were about to go out on the boat when the Lord spoke to Keith and told him to wire the amount of money this friend needed and he had to do it right now. Brother Keith asked the Lord about the other avenues He was pursuing and the Lord told him that the other person wasn't listening and this friend needed the money now. When Keith found out the amount he saw that it was going to almost wipe out his account, but he acted quickly and quietly and followed God's direction. Not only did his friend's ministry flourish, but Brother Keith received the reward that was meant for another person for himself because of his obedience to the Lord.

This is why it may seem sometimes that God is using the same people over and over again. It's because of their obedience and their willingness to listen to the Lord and act quickly and quietly when instructed to move. This is a great model for us to follow.

Lord I come to you today in full submission. I acknowledge that I cannot make it on my own and require Your assistance every second of every day. I will obey quickly and quietly when instructed and will follow Your direction completely. Use me as You need to in any way You need to. I am Your vessel in which to accomplish Your plans here on earth. I praise You and thank You for coming to be my Kinsman Redeemer. I thank You for all that You are revealing to me and are doing through me. Amen.

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment