Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Heart for the Lost

Jonah 4:1-10

1 This change of plans greatly upset Jonah, and he became very angry. 2 So he complained to the Lord about it: “Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people. 3 Just kill me now, Lord! I’d rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen.”

4 The Lord replied, “Is it right for you to be angry about this?”

5 Then Jonah went out to the east side of the city and made a shelter to sit under as he waited to see what would happen to the city. 6 And the Lord God arranged for a leafy plant to grow there, and soon it spread its broad leaves over Jonah’s head, shading him from the sun. This eased his discomfort, and Jonah was very grateful for the plant.

7 But God also arranged for a worm! The next morning at dawn the worm ate through the stem of the plant so that it withered away. 8 And as the sun grew hot, God arranged for a scorching east wind to blow on Jonah. The sun beat down on his head until he grew faint and wished to die. “Death is certainly better than living like this!” he exclaimed.

9 Then God said to Jonah, “Is it right for you to be angry because the plant died?”

“Yes,” Jonah retorted, “even angry enough to die!”

10 Then the Lord said, “You feel sorry about the plant, though you did nothing to put it there. It came quickly and died quickly. 11 But Nineveh has more than 120,000 people living in spiritual darkness, not to mention all the animals. Shouldn’t I feel sorry for such a great city?”

This is a chapter I have never read prior to today. I had always heard the story of Jonah and only heard the first three chapters. This part was never taught on or discussed. That is amazing to me because it shows that we can be honest with God about our feelings on a subject and He will reveal His heart for the lost to us.

What I see in Jonah is a reaction we have all expressed at one time or another. There is something that happens that we become very angry about. Sometimes it is when we are doing something that the Lord has instructed us to do. I have experienced this feeling sometimes when I am helping with something at church where people are receiving something for free, food let's say, and they want to whine and complain about something they are receiving for free. That does make me angry because they are also the ones who complain about not having enough money for buy stuff. I will ask God about that and sometimes He shows me that their heart condition is not right with Him. That leads me to a point of prayer for them so they really get to know the love of God and how it can transform their life.

I love the fact that God showed His love to Jonah even after Jonah expressed his anger towards God. How many of us do that with our loved ones? It's not easy to show love to someone after they have just told you how angry they are with you. I see in verse 6 that Jonah was grateful for the plant that brought him shade and comfort. Did he know it came from God? It doesn't say. I pressume that he did not. All he knew was that this plant was providing him shade and comfort. Did his anger also subside? I don't know, the Word doesn't say.

His discomfort rises again when the plant dies and the weather conditions make hime uncomfortable. He gets to the point that he wants to die. What do you notice here? Is this a condition that God put him in or is it a condition that Jonah brought on himself? I would argue that Jonah brought this on himself. God did not tell him to get angry over, what Jonah says in verse 2 "I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people." Why would he get angry because God did what he knew God would do? Pride. Pride is why Jonah was angry with God. It is the same pride that was expressed in Jesus parable of the Prodigal Son by the son who stayed with his father. Jonah was doing the work of the Lord and he did not want to go to Nineveh because he did not think they deserved to be saved. This is the attitude of a lot of people in the body of Christ.

When I say that last statement I say that in the sense that they know people are lost in the world around them but they don't think it is important enough to share the Good News with those that are lost. They don't necessarily mind if someone else goes and does it, but they themselves will not go out and do it. I have that attitude sometimes. I know that it is the wrong attitude to have. Verse 11 shows me why my attitude is wrong. "But Nineveh has more than 120,000 people living in spiritual darkness, not to mention all the animals. Shouldn’t I feel sorry for such a great city?" That is God's heart for the lost. That is why it is important for each of us to share the Good News with those that are in spiritual darkness. We should not sit back and wait for someone else to do it. The Word is clear on who should do this.

Mark 16:15-18

15 And then he [Jesus] told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone. 16 Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned. 17 These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak in new languages. 18 They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick, and they will be healed.”

These instructions do not come with the disclaimer that only the evangelist or the pastor is supposed to do this. Jesus was talking to His followers, ALL His followers. He did not say that only those with training at bible school are supposed to do this. He did not say that if you have read the entire Bible then you are qualified to do this. He did not say that only those who work for the church are supposed to do this. Since there is not qualifications outside of being a follower of Jesus, then it is our duty to Him to share the Good News with everyone we can. I used to be more regular about going out on the streets and sharing the Good News with people. I then decided to stop going out. Why? Pride. Should I start going out again? Yes. I need to see through God's eyes on this one so that I can put my flesh into submission. He is very clear that He has a heart for the lost and wants to extend His mercy and grace to them, just like He did to me.

Father I confess to You today that I have let my pride get in the way of what I know You want me to do. I turn from my selfish ways Lord and will make the decision to follow Your Word and share the Good News to the lost I come into contact with. I will make the decision to do this in a consistent manner that allows those who are lost to know of Your great love for them. I thank You that Your grace and compassion for me was expressed so that I could come to know of Your great love for me. I thank You and praise You today. Amen.

Numbers 6:24-26 (AMP)

The Lord bless you and watch, guard, and keep you; The Lord make His face to shine upon and enlighten you and be gracious (kind, merciful, and giving favor) to you; The Lord lift up His [approving] countenance upon you and give you peace (tranquility of heart and life continually).

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment