Monday, March 30, 2009

Life or Death, Which is Better?

Philippians 1:20-26

20 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. 21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. 23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. 24 But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.

25 Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith. 26 And when I come to you again, you will have even more reason to take pride in Christ Jesus because of what he is doing through me.

Today is a day to remember a precious child of Christ who went home to be with Him on Wednesday. When I think of Delores Gavin I think of a tender, caring woman of God who fought battles with the sickness the devil brought on her and she fought valiantly for 6 years. I watched her live verse 20. I see her life bringing honor to Christ down through her sons and through her grandchildren. The lives they live are a direct result of the impact of her walk with Jesus and His love flowing through her.

Verse 21 is one that many people struggle with, especially those who are suffering from life threatening diseases. For to live one lives in Christ and can work faithfully in His mission for us on earth. To die would be even better because then we are with Him forever and don't have the limitations of this physical world to deal with. Delores did not want to leave her husband, children, grandchildren or her friends, but to live any longer would have meant dealing with the limitations of her physical body and the disease that the devil brought on her. Right now she is in a place that is hard to even imagine. She is in a place where there is no sickness, no pain, no sorrow and no devil. She is is heaven with her Savior and her Lord, Jesus. Praise God!

Verse 24 lets me know that she does continue to live here on earth though. She lives through her husband, her children and her grandchildren. She lives through the memories we have of her and of the way she touched our lives. She lives through the way in which those who knew her will continue to exhibit the same love that she showed to each of us. She will continue to live through each person that is touched by those who knew her and saw Christ's love flow through her.

Knowing that she will continue to live through those who knew her verses 25-26 are very appropriate. The love of Jesus that she exhibited will continue to flow through each of us and we will grow in our faith and love for Jesus. When we do see her again it will be in heaven and we will be experience the joy she is experiencing right now. We will be glad to see her and she will be able to show us around and show us new ways of worshipping our Lord. Praise God for her life and for our memories of her.

Numbers 6:24-26 (AMP)

The Lord bless you and watch, guard, and keep you; The Lord make His face to shine upon and enlighten you and be gracious (kind, merciful, and giving favor) to you; The Lord lift up His [approving] countenance upon you and give you peace (tranquility of heart and life continually).

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment