Thursday, February 12, 2009

God Speaks, Are You Listening?

Amos 3:3, 7, 10-11

3 Can two people walk together
without agreeing on the direction?

7 Indeed, the Sovereign Lord never does anything
until he reveals his plans to his servants the prophets.

10 “My people have forgotten how to do right,”
says the Lord.
“Their fortresses are filled with wealth
taken by theft and violence.
11 Therefore,” says the Sovereign Lord,
“an enemy is coming!
He will surround them and shatter their defenses.
Then he will plunder all their fortresses.”

These verses start with a very compelling thought, "Can two people walk together without agreeing on the direction?" Physically it is impossible. Mentally it is just as impossible. Spiritualy it is definitely impossible. When I think about my relationship with my wife I reflect on these words. Early on in our marriage I tried a couple of jobs that she didn't really like and it was a struggle each day not only to do those jobs but to deal with her not liking them. One time we were laying on the floor in our apartment and I told her that I felt like I was called to be a pastor. I was expecting any reaction from her except the one I got. She was not comfortable with being a pastor's wife. Having learned through the other jobs I told her that since God had brought us together that if He wanted me to be a pastor then He would call both of us. Little did I know what being a pastor was truly about. What I do now is where I am a pastor. I counsel people in their finances every day and reach out to those who are hurting with the love of God. My "congregation" is not your typical one, but this is definitely where I am supposed to be. Best yet is that my wife is by my side and we are doing this together. How much better could it get?

Verse 7 really makes me thankful for those people who are true prophets of God. I am glad that God doesn't just do something to us or for us without first telling us about it. Look throughout His Word and see that He was telling the Israelites about the coming Messiah. When all the prophecies were fulfilled when Jesus came it should have been plain to their natural sight that Jesus was who He was. Unfortunately most of the Jews at that time did not see it. They put human interpretation and expectations on who the Messiah was going to be and how He would come into this world and what He would do. I am so glad that God still operates this way. Most of the time He doesn't need to have a prophet tell me something because He can tell me Himself. If I refuse to listen He may use a prophet, but I do not need one to get His direction for my life. I used to think I did, but now I know better. It is much better to get it straight from God than through a prophet because their flesh will get into the way and put a spin on it that God did not want and that will distort the true message. When you get the direction from God Himself it is clear and you understand what He is saying. You get the entire message and it is in a way that you can grasp a hold of and use, without having to ciphen through someone else's interpretation.

Verses 10 and 11 remind me of the proverbs that speak of the wealth of the wicked. The wealth that God brings is so much more appealing than what this world has to offer. God will make you rich without adding any sorrow with it. The world's riches will only bring sorrow and toil. Who needs that? This would explain why so many famous people, according to the world's standards, are found doing really stupid things like getting busted for DWIs or possession of illegal drugs or having nervous breakdowns. They have all kinds of wealth but they also have a lot of sorrow with it. It's great to know that as God increases my territories and brings the wealth of the sinner into my house that there will be only joy and happiness with it. I was looking over our companies marketing goals for the next three years and was extremely blessed to see what can happen if everything goes at a normal rate. Two years into it our company could sow seed at a rate of 75% of our income and still cover all its bills, pay our future employees well and meet all of its obligations. That is so exciting for me to think about. That would equal over $1,300,000.00 of seed sowing money into the Kingdom! Praise God! I can't wait to see how this works out. God will definitely get all the glory because it is His plan and is blessed to succeed.

Father I thank You and praise You for Your Word. I thank You that it is the source of truth in my life and that Your Word doesn't change it changes those who read it. I thank You that You reveal Yourself to me through Your Word and how I can apply Your Word and Your Truth to my life each day. You are an awesome God and I am proud to serve You with everything that I am. I praise You and honor You today. May Your Name be praised forever! Amen.

Numbers 6:24-26 (AMP)

The Lord bless you and watch, guard, and keep you; The Lord make His face to shine upon and enlighten you and be gracious (kind, merciful, and giving favor) to you; The Lord lift up His [approving] countenance upon you and give you peace (tranquility of heart and life continually).

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment