Friday, February 6, 2009

The Truth Doesn’t Change

Lamentation 5:19 (NLT)

19 But Lord, you remain the same forever! Your throne continues from generation to generation.

Lamentations 5:19 (MSG)

And yet, God, you're sovereign still, your throne intact and eternal.

Lamentations 5:19 (AMP)

19 But You, O Lord, remain and reign forever; Your throne endures from generation to [all] generations.

Lamentations 5:19 (CEV)

19You will rule forever, LORD! You are King for all time.

I love looking at the different translations of this verse. It gives a little bit different perspective on the same truth. The truth revealed in this verse is that God is the same forever. He is the one constant we can look to in our life, no matter what is going on. God is always the same. What He spoke to Adam and Eve is just as true today as it was then. The blessing He spoke to Abraham was true for him then and it is true for me today. What Jesus said when He was on earth was true then and it is still true today. As I watch the news I get more and more filled with joy because I know that as the world runs around looking for something that is true and constant that I have already found it and don't have to worry about it. I love what the scriptures say here:

Numbers 23:19-20

19 God is not a man, so he does not lie.
He is not human, so he does not change his mind.
Has he ever spoken and failed to act?
Has he ever promised and not carried it through?
20 Listen, I received a command to bless;
God has blessed, and I cannot reverse it!

God doesn't change His mind like we do. He doesn't think something is right today and false tomorrow. What happens to me here on earth is no more of a surprise to God than my expectation of the sun coming up today. I know it's going to happen and God knows what is going to happen to me before I do. I am so glad that He doesn't change the way He does business. I would think that anyone who tries to put their faith into something that changes a lot could get confused quite easily. What's true today may not be true tomorrow. With God that is not the case. If He says in His word that I was healed because of the stripes Jesus took on His back then I am healed. If He says that I am blessed because I am in Christ then I am blessed. If He says that I am saved because I believe in Jesus and what He did for me and I confess it with my mouth then I am saved. I don't have to worry about how my body or my mind feels or thinks about it my spirit knows it to be true. I also like the fact that God does not turn His back on us or forget about us. See it in this scripture.

Malachi 3:6-7

6 “I am the Lord, and I do not change. That is why you descendants of Jacob are not already destroyed. 7 Ever since the days of your ancestors, you have scorned my decrees and failed to obey them. Now return to me, and I will return to you,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.

Praise God that He doesn't change and He is waiting to be with us, when we decide we want to be with Him. Our relationship with Him and the quality and depth of that relationship is totally dependant upon us and how we pursue Him. He will spend as much time with us as we want. If we don't pursue Him He won't force Himself on us. He never has and never will operate that way.

Luke 15:11-24

11 To illustrate the point further, Jesus told them this story: “A man had two sons. 12 The younger son told his father, ‘I want my share of your estate now before you die.’ So his father agreed to divide his wealth between his sons.

13 “A few days later this younger son packed all his belongings and moved to a distant land, and there he wasted all his money in wild living. 14 About the time his money ran out, a great famine swept over the land, and he began to starve. 15 He persuaded a local farmer to hire him, and the man sent him into his fields to feed the pigs. 16 The young man became so hungry that even the pods he was feeding the pigs looked good to him. But no one gave him anything.

17 “When he finally came to his senses, he said to himself, ‘At home even the hired servants have food enough to spare, and here I am dying of hunger! 18 I will go home to my father and say, “Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, 19 and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Please take me on as a hired servant.”’

20 “So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him. 21 His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son.’

22 “But his father said to the servants, ‘Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. 23 And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, 24 for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.’ So the party began.

What I love about this is that this is the way God looks at us. He sees us coming from a long way off and runs to greet us! He runs to us when we turn to Him! PRAISE GOD FOREVER! I don't have to convince Him to come to me. I don't have to beg Him to come to me. He runs to me when I am still far off and embraces me when I come to Him. When I confess my sins to Him He quickly forgets them like they never happened and wants to throw a party for me to welcome me back. WOW! How awesome is that? Why would anyone want to worship or fellowship with anyone or anything else when they know that God is this way? If God doesn't change and He doesn't treat people differently than everyone should want to embrace this truth for themselves. At least I would think that they would.

Father, I am so glad that I have embraced this truth about You and that You love me so much that You would send Your Son to die for me so that I could have fellowship with You. I thank You and praise You today for being the only source of truth in this world and that I can count on Your Word working today just like it did for everyone I read about in the Bible. I praise Your name today. I love You. Amen.

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment