Monday, February 9, 2009

Turn, Give, Receive, Praise

Joel 2:12-13, 25-32

12 That is why the Lord says,
“Turn to me now, while there is time.
Give me your hearts.
Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning.
13 Don’t tear your clothing in your grief,
but tear your hearts instead.”
Return to the Lord your God,
for he is merciful and compassionate,
slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
He is eager to relent and not punish.

25 The Lord says, “I will give you back what you lost
to the swarming locusts, the hopping locusts,
the stripping locusts, and the cutting locusts.
It was I who sent this great destroying army against you.
26 Once again you will have all the food you want,
and you will praise the Lord your God,
who does these miracles for you.
Never again will my people be disgraced.
27 Then you will know that I am among my people Israel,
that I am the Lord your God, and there is no other.
Never again will my people be disgraced.

28 “Then, after doing all those things,
I will pour out my Spirit upon all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy.
Your old men will dream dreams,
and your young men will see visions.
29 In those days I will pour out my Spirit
even on servants—men and women alike.
30 And I will cause wonders in the heavens and on the earth—
blood and fire and columns of smoke.
31 The sun will become dark,
and the moon will turn blood red
before that great and terrible day of the Lord arrives.
32 But everyone who calls on the name of the Lord
will be saved,
for some on Mount Zion in Jerusalem will escape,
just as the Lord has said.
These will be among the survivors
whom the Lord has called.

I can't help but love the Lord even more now than I did before reading this. He sees all that we do that is not according to His Word. He has every right to be angry with us and want to punish us. He is very slow to anger and is eager not to punish us for what we do against Him. Who in earth could do that?

I want justice and I want it now! That is something I heard on a TV commercial recently. We live in a society where we want a lot of things. Not only do we want a lot of things, but we want them now! We can't wait for anything. We have fast food, cash machines, cell phones, laptops, 24 hour news, etc. We need what we need and we need it now!

I am so thankful that God does not work that way with us. If He wanted justice every time we messed up we would be in a world of hurt. Praise God that He doesn't do that! I am so thankful He doesn't react the way I do. I struggle with my flesh a lot when it comes to issues with anger. My temper seems to be the shortest with my wife and kids. I need to put my flesh in submission when it comes to their actions. I need to realize that they are not working against me and that their actions were not meant to cause me pain. At those moments I need to remember how God is with me, slow to anger and quick to forgive. That is God's way. "for he is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. He is eager to relent and not punish." (v. 13)

What I love most about God is that He is simple in His requests from us. All He wants is our heart. I assume you know that I am not talking about your blood pump that sits in your chest. He is after our soul, which is comprised of our mind, will and emotions. If we can control those areas of our life with God's help we can then be more effective in ministry for His Kingdom.

Father I turn to You and confess my sins. I give You my heart, my soul, my mind and all that I am so that You can mold me through Your Word to be the man You want me to be. I receive Your forgiveness and I receive Your Holy Spirit within me to guide me and teach me Your ways. I give praise to You and You alone for who You are and for what You will do in me and through me today. All the praise and glory belong to You. I come to You in the name of my savior, Jesus. Amen.

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment