Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Know Jesus, Know Peace

Lamentations 2:9-12

9 Jerusalem’s gates have sunk into the ground.
He has smashed their locks and bars.
Her kings and princes have been exiled to distant lands;
her law has ceased to exist.
Her prophets receive
no more visions from the Lord.

10 The leaders of beautiful Jerusalem
sit on the ground in silence.
They are clothed in burlap
and throw dust on their heads.
The young women of Jerusalem
hang their heads in shame.

11 I have cried until the tears no longer come;
my heart is broken.
My spirit is poured out in agony
as I see the desperate plight of my people.
Little children and tiny babies
are fainting and dying in the streets.

12 They cry out to their mothers,
“We need food and drink!”
Their lives ebb away in the streets
like the life of a warrior wounded in battle.
They gasp for life
as they collapse in their mothers’ arms.

I struggled with this chapter on what to share. I see why this book is titled Lamentations. Webster's Dictionary defines the root word lament as follows:

1. to feel or express sorrow or regret for, 2. to mourn for or over, 3. to feel, show, or express grief, sorrow, or regret, 4. to mourn deeply, 5. an expression of grief or sorrow and 6. a formal expression of sorrow or mourning, esp. in verse or song; an elegy or dirge.

This whole chapter is exactly that. I could see where these verses could probably apply to people who lived in Germany during World War II or in much of Europe during that time. It would also seem like something being cried out by those living in Darfur (not the city in Minnesota) in this day and age. Many countries experience the horrors of war. This chapter is a recollection of the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians. Who wouldn't have sorrow and grief when your city, neighborhood and home is being destroyed? I can't even begin to imagine how those people felt back then or how those in Darfur feel now.

I praise and thank God that I was born where and when I was. I am so grateful that I do not have to live in that type of environment. I do not know what it means to truly be in want for the basic necessities of life. By 95% of the world's standards I am rich. There are people living in distant countries who have never had the opportunity to see something like indoor plumbing or electricity. Not too mention a pleasure like a solid roof over their head at night. Most people don't get to experience having a car, let alone two of them.

What this chapter brings to mind for me is a thankfulness that I have not had to live through that type of trauma. I praise God for Jesus and His expression of love for me on the cross. I praise God that I can live in His Blessing. I praise God that He cares for me just as much as He cared for the citizens of Jerusalem. I praise God that I have the Word to turn to when I need encouragement, instruction, guidance, deliverance and correction. He cared enough for me to have everything I need in it to succeed in life. I am truly grateful that He shows me the right way to live and to reveal His love for me through His Word.

Did the people of Jerusalem really deserve to go through what they did? Not for me to judge. They were given instructions on how to live and were told the consequences of their choices beforehand. If they chose to disobey God's Word and follow His plan then there would be consequences for their actions. It doesn't mean that every person wasn't following God. They were living under earthly kings, not by God's choice but by their choice. When they chose to live under an earthly king they also chose to take on the responsibility of protecting their kingdom and their way of life. They did this without the full backing of God. They were subjecting themselves to someone they could see and weren't following closely the One the couldn't see. That is still a pattern with man today.

1 Samuel 8:4-9

4 Finally, all the elders of Israel met at Ramah to discuss the matter with Samuel. 5 “Look,” they told him, “you are now old, and your sons are not like you. Give us a king to judge us like all the other nations have.”

6 Samuel was displeased with their request and went to the Lord for guidance. 7 “Do everything they say to you,” the Lord replied, “for it is me they are rejecting, not you. They don’t want me to be their king any longer. 8 Ever since I brought them from Egypt they have continually abandoned me and followed other gods. And now they are giving you the same treatment. 9 Do as they ask, but solemnly warn them about the way a king will reign over them.”

As we see here it was the people who were rejecting God as their king and wanted a king like the rest of the nations. This is the same argument is used by my kids when they want something that the other kids have. Mankind does not apparently learn from the mistakes of the past when left to their flesh to guide them. Those who follow the spirit are not lead into those types of situations. Do I still make mistakes? Yes. When I make them it is obvious that I am following my flesh and not the spirit. Thankfully I can repent of that mistake and move forward. Hopefully I learned from my mistake so that I don't repeat it again. When I do it will still be because of my flesh. I can't wait to get out of this flesh suit and live in the spirit in heaven with Jesus.

Father I thank You for Your Word and for the guidance it brings to my life each day. I thank You for sending Your Son to die on the cross for my sins. I thank You Jesus for following God's plan for your life so that through Your sacrifice I can approach the Father and have a relationship with Him. I thank You for being with me each second of each day. I stir up my spirit to reveal Your plan to me so that I can follow it closely and keep myself from harm. I thank You for the Holy Spirit who reveals all truth to me and shows me the way of love. I bring these thank offerings to you in Jesus Name. Amen.

Published by Erik L. Vakula
Daily Bread From the Word
Copyright © 2009 Erik Vakula, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment